Frozen Lemon Mousse (Martha Stewart)
Top with Candied Lemon Zest (recipe follows main recipe)
- 8 to 10 lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, chilled
- Candied Lemon Zest (Recipe in Directions)
- One 8-ounce container creme fraiche
Adapted from marthastewart.com
1. Prepare ice-water bath in large bowl. Juice 1 lemon; reserve juice. Juice additional lemons to yield 1 cup. Make lemon curd: Place 1 cup lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, whole eggs, and butter in saucepan; whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it begins to boil, about 7 minutes.
2.Strain curd through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl set in the ice bath. Stir periodically until cool; remove from ice bath. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of curd to prevent a skin from forming; refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
3.Place 1 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream in large mixing bowl; whisk until soft peaks form. Reserve 1/2 cup lemon curd for sauce; add remaining lemon curd to whipped cream. Fold gently until well combined.
4.Place an 8-inch nonstick springform pan on baking sheet. Transfer mousse to springform pan. Place in freezer on sheet until firm, at least 4 hours.
5.Drain candied lemon zest; reserve syrup. Make the lemon sauce: Whisk 1/3 cup syrup, reserved 1/2 cup lemon curd, and reserved juice of 1 lemon in a small bowl. Remove frozen mousse from freezer and let warm 4 to 5 minutes at room temperature. Meanwhile, whisk creme fraiche and remaining 2 tablespoons cream in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Remove sides of springform pan. Slice mousse and place on plates. Spoon lemon sauce around mousse; top with creme fraiche. Garnish with candied zest, and serve.
Candied Lemon Zest:
6 lemons, scrubbed
2 cups sugar
1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel zest from lemons. Use a knife to remove any white pith; cut zest as thinly as possible.
2. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add zest; blanch for 1 minute, drain, and rinse under cold water.
3.In another medium saucepan, combine sugar and 2 cups water; bring to a simmer. Cook until sugar dissolves completely, about 2 minutes. Add lemon zest. Simmer until translucent, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat; let zest cool in syrup. When cool, transfer zest and syrup to an airtight plastic container.