Smoky Navy Bean Soup
- 1 pound navy beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cups chopped smoked ham, about 8 oz
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 14 1/2ounce can petite diced tomatoes with chipotle or jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 5 ounce bag baby spinach
Adapted from familycircle.com
1. Coat slow-cooker bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Drain beans and add to slow cooker bowl. Stir in 6 cups water, ham, onion, celery, carrots, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 hours.
3. Remove 2 cups of the soup, puree and return to slow cooker. Add salt and pepper; gradually add spinach and stir until wilted.