Cannellini And Kale Ragout
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 4 slices Italian bread, 1 1/2" thk crusts removed, and each slice quartered
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme plus
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 5 cups thinly-sliced kale - (packed) (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 can vegetable broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green
- pepper and onion in juice - (14 1/2 oz)
- 1 can cannellini - (15 oz) drained (white kidney beans)
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bread and 1 teaspoon thyme; cook until bread is golden on both sides, turning with tongs, about 2 minutes total. Transfer croutons to bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Add remaining 4 tablespoons oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper to same pot; sauté over medium heat 30 seconds. Add kale and broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until kale wilts, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with juice, beans, and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle ragout into shallow bowls. Top with croutons and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Serve With: Romaine salad with sliced oranges, black olives, and balsamic vinaigrette.
Test-Kitchen Tip: To cut fresh kale easily, roll leaves into cylinders and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.