Aunt Phyl's Baked Cod Italian-style
From 7 fish dinner
- 6-8 firm fresh cod fish fillets (skin and bones removed)
- 1 med. red onion
- 3 T olive oil (more as needed to moisten)
- 1-2 loaves of day old Italian bread crumbled and oil drizzled over to moisten (not to excess)
- 2 C fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 C golden raisins, soaked in gin for 4 days (or 30 mins in water) to plump
Preheat oven to 400.
Using a blender or chopper, crumble day old bread to make fluffy bread crumbs, not too fine.
In a saute pan, heat 2 T of oil and add onion and garlic. Season w/ salt and pepper, saute over low heat til the onion has wilted and started to turn translucent; be careful not to let it brown. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
Wipe the pan w/ paper towel to clean it, then place it back over low heat and add the remaining oil. Dump the breadcrumbs into the pan and stir to completely coat them w/ oil. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a large mixing bowl and let cool slightly. Mix in the chopped parsley and add the golden raisins to mixture. Salt and pepper.
Lay fish fillets in a large foil baking pan and season w/ a bit s/p. Distribute the breadcrumb/herb/raisin mixture evenly on the top of the fish. Drizzle w/ olive oil to moisten.
Cover and bake for 25 mins. Remove foil cover and bake for 15 mins longer to brown breadcrumbs.