- 1 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms (~ 35 mushrooms)
- 4 shallots, diced
- 6 slices or 1 1/2 ounce of pancetta, diced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray.
2. Dice up the shallots, pancetta and thyme
3. Clean mushrooms using a damp cloth; cut off the very bottom off of stem and discard. Remove the mushroom stems, dice them up along with four of the cleaned mushrooms.
4. Heat a skillet to medium high heat, add 1 1/2 Tablespoon butter. Add pancetta and cook for 2 minutes or so. Add shallots and thyme. Cook for additional 4 minutes. Add diced mushroom stems, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and continue to cook for a few minutes until tender.
5. Transfer the the mushroom mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
6. Stuff the mushrooms with approximately 2 teaspoons of filling. Use the spoon to fill the cavity then use your fingers to pack it in and spoon another mound of filling on top. Place mushrooms in prepared baking dish.
7. Drizzle with olive oil and bake at 425 degrees for ~ 20 to 25 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden and mushrooms are tender. Serve warm. Yields approximately 30 hors d’oeuvres.
My oven runs very hot so I had to turn it down to 400 the last few minutes. Make sure to check before the 20 minute mark so they don’t burn!
NOTE: The mushrooms can be stuffed and refrigerated a day ahead. Let them come to room temperature before baking and hold off on drizzling with the oil until ready to bake.