Beet And Cabbage Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 3 cups coarsely-chopped peeled raw beets - (from 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 cups chopped red onions
- 3 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño chiles
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beets, onions, celery, cabbage, and chiles; sauté until celery is soft, about 10 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and lime juice; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
Working in small batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot; season to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth by 1/4 cupfuls, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls and top with tortilla chips and sour cream.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
My husband, Robb, and I also run our own restaurant, Reposado. He insisted that we open the place because he thought my recipes deserved a wider audience. At the restaurant I like to experiment the menu at Reposado is nouvelle Mexican but at my cooking school I feature more traditional recipes. Working at both places gives me the chance to show off both cooking styles.
When beets are cooked as they are in this recipe, they turn a bright fuchsia color. Wear disposable plastic gloves when working with beets. Puree only one or two cups of hot soup at a time, holding the top of the blender firmly to keep it from flying off.
You'll also love
- Beef With Three-Chile Butter 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Banana-Cream Parfaits 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Avocado Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Avocado And Tomatillo Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Yukon Gold Potato And Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Beets And Baby Greens With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Red Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet-And-Sour Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)