- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar plus
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 1 cup chilled crème fraîche*
- 3 ripe bananas peeled, and cut on diagonal into 1/3"-thk slices
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely-crumbled Coconut Shortbread
- Cookies (see recipe), plus
- 6 whole Coconut Shortbread Cookies for garnish
* Available at some supermarkets.
Combine cream, 2 tablespoons sugar, and brown sugar in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Simmer until liquid is reduced to 1 1/3 cups, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Pour liquid into bowl; chill until cold, at least 3 hours and up to 1 day.
Using electric mixer, beat crème fraîche and 1/4 cup sugar in medium bowl until thickened and fluffy (mixture will thin out at first but then will thicken). Discard vanilla bean and whisk vanilla cream until smooth.
Divide vanilla cream among 6 glasses; top each with 5 banana slices. Sprinkle 1/4 cup crumbled cookies over each. Divide whipped crème fraîche among glasses. Top with remaining banana slices. (Can be prepared 45 minutes ahead. Cover and chill.) Place 1 whole shortbread cookie in each glass and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.