Fresh Basil Pesto
- 2 C fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano Cheese
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 C pine nuts or walnuts
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine the basil in with the pine nuts pulse a few times in a food processor. If you are using walnuts instead of pine nuts and they are not already chopped pulse them a few times first before adding the basil. Add the garlic pulse a few times more.
Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream whiel the food processor is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Makes 1 Cup
Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes or spread over toasted baguette slices