From Women's Day magazine- womansday.com June 2010
Bread cubes can be toasted up to one week before. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Stale bread works perfectly in this recipe too.
- 6 cups cubed Italian or rustic bread
- 4 large ripe tomatoes (about 3 lb), cut in chunks
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium yellow peppers, seeded and cubed
- 1 large seedless cucumber, quartered lengthwise, cut into 3/4-in. pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
Adapted from womansday.com
1. Heat oven to 400ºF. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on pan. Toast in oven 10 to 12 minutes, tossing once, until evenly browned.
2. Meanwhile, put tomatoes, onion, oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes or until tomatoes release their juices. Toss occasionally.
3. Add peppers, cucumber and parsley to tomatoes. Let stand at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend. Just before serving, add bread cubes; toss to blend thoroughly.
Planning Tip: Bread cubes can be toasted up to 1 week before. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Stale bread works perfectly in this recipe too.
Yield 12 cups
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat 7g
Saturated Fat 1g
Total Carbohydrates 19g
Dietary Fiber 3g