paella on the grill
great recipe for outdoor entertaining
- 1 tsp. (large pinch) saffron
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large yellow or white onion, chopped
- 51 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red, yellow, or green bell pepper (or combination), chopped
- 2 lb. chicken breasts and thighs chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 2 ,8 oz. Spanish chorizo, sliced into 1-inch slices, or chicken sausage. hard sausage
- 3 to 4 cups arborio or bomba rice
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 6 to 8 cups chicken or fish stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds shrimp
Cooking time 1mins
Cook chicken in saffron the night before. Cook sausage night before.
1. Place saffron in small bowl. Pour wine on top and allow to infuse at least 10 minutes while
prepping other ingredients.
2. Build fire in barbecue grill. Once coals are hot, place paella pan on the grill about 4 inches above
coals. Pour in olive oil and heat till shimmering, then add chopped onions, garlic and pepper and
saute till tender. Add chicken pieces and brown lightly, then add chorizo and saute till warmed. Stir
in smoked paprika. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes, then add olives, saffron wine mixture, and stock
until it just covers the rice mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place grill cover on the barbecue and cook for approximately 20 minutes without stirring, checking
occasionally to make sure rice doesn't get too dry. Add more stock as needed, allowing brown crust
to form on bottom and sides without burning. Before rice is completely done, add mussels or clams
hinge-side down so they stand up in the pan and their juices run into the paella. Serve when shells
open and meat inside is cooked, approximately 3 minutes.