Twice-as-Nice Mashed Potatoes
- 1 large whole garlic bulb
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Brush with oil. Wrap bulb in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425°F until softened, 30-35 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes; peel garlic and reserve oil. Reduce heat to 400°F.
2. Place red and sweet potatoes in separate saucepans; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until very tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain.
3. Place both potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add the milk, butter, rosemary, roasted garlic and reserved oil. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Transfer to a greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Cover and bake until heated through, 25-30 minutes.