Portuguese Green Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch collard greens center stems cut
- away, and leaves thinly sliced
- 1 pound fully cooked spicy sausage cut 1/2"-thk rounds (such as linguiça, andouille, or hot links)
- 5 3/4 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 3/4 pounds russet potatoes peeled, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft and golden, about 5 minutes.
Add collard greens and sauté until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add sausage and sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes. Simmer soup uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Transfer 2 cups soup (without sausage) to processor. Blend until smooth; return to pot of soup and bring to simmer. Mix in crushed red pepper. Season with salt and black pepper.
This recipe yields 4 main-course servings.