Chicken Vegetable Soup
This isn't your mom's chicken soup! Barley adds texture, flavor, and a healthy dose of fiber to this colorful (and flavorful) soup.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings: 8 (1-1/2-cup) servings
Total Fat (g)5
Saturated Fat (g)1
Vitamin A (DV%)0
Vitamin C (DV%)0
Very Lean Meat (d.e.)3.5
- 2 poundsskinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoonpoultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoonsolive oil
- 1-1/2 cupschopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cupchopped carrot
- 1/2 cupchopped onion
- 1/2 cupchopped green sweet pepper
- 4 clovesgarlic, minced
- 2 tablespoonssnipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoonsnipped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoonground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoonsalt
- 6 cupswater
- 2 tablespoonschicken bouillon granules
- 1 poundpotatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2-3/4 cups)
- 1/2 cupquick-cooking barley
1. In a medium bowl, toss chicken breast pieces with the poultry seasoning; set aside.
2. In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrot, onion, sweet pepper, garlic, dried basil and parsley (if using), black pepper, and salt; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove vegetables from Dutch oven; set aside.
3. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the Dutch oven; heat over medium heat. Add chicken pieces; cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Return vegetables to Dutch oven. Stir in the water and chicken bouillon granules. Bring to boiling; stir in potatoes and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in fresh basil and parsley (if using). Makes 8 (1-1/2-cup) servings.