- 2 medium ripe Hachiya persimmons
- 1/2 cup unsweetened pear juice
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- A large pinch of ground cardamom
- Butter pecan ice cream
- Rum raisin ice cream
- Coarsely-chopped lightly toasted pecans
Make deep cut in pointed end of each Hachiya persimmon. Spoon pulp from persimmon skin into food processor and puree until smooth. Measure 1 cup persimmon puree.
Combine pear juice, brown sugar, and butter in heavy small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring until brown sugar dissolves. Boil until syrupy, about 4 minutes. Add 1 cup persimmon puree and stir until heated through (do not boil). Add cardamom to taste. (Persimmon sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm sauce before using.)
Make sundaes with a scoop each of butter pecan and rum raisin ice cream, some persimmon sauce, and pecans.
This recipe yields 6 servings.