Sweet and Sour Tofu
calories per serving 375
- 2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 block of extra firm tofu cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 red onion, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red (or 1 red and 1 green) bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Brown Rice
1. To make the tofu: Combine sherry, pepper, 2 tablespoon of the soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon of the sugar in a medium bowl. Add tofu and gently toss until well coated. Let marinate in the refrigerator.
2. Stir together pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, and remaining teaspoon of sugar in a small bowl until well combined.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but still a little crisp, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large dish. Heat another tablespoon of the oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned but still a little crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the same dish.
4. Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the tofu cubes, arranging in a single layer. Cook about 3 minutes. Return onion and peppers to the pan and toss to combine. Add pineapple juice mixture and cook, stirring, until sauce evenly coats everything and thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve over brown rice immediately.