Pear And Frangipane Crostata With Raspberry Vinegar Glaze
- 5 ounces almond paste crumbled (abt 3 3/4" of a 5 1/2" log)
- 3 tablespoons butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry thawed (half of 17.3-oz package)
- 3 large firm but ripe Bosc pears peeled, halved, cored, cut into 1/3" slices
- 5 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1/2 cup black raspberry vinegar* (or raspberry vinegar)
- Crushed pink peppercorns (optional)
* Black raspberry vinegar is available at some supermarkets and specialty foods stores.
Finely grind almond paste in processor. Add softened butter, flour, and egg; blend until smooth.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out puff pastry on floured surface to 13- by 11-inch rectangle. Fold 3/4 inch of edges over; press to adhere to make 11 1/2- by 9 1/2-inch rectangle. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet. Pierce surface evenly with fork, avoiding folded edges. Spread almond paste mixture evenly over crust within folded edges. Arrange pear slices atop filling, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until crust is deep golden and pears are tender, about 38 minutes. Cool slightly.
Meanwhile, stir vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat; boil until syrup is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 6 minutes.
Place tart on platter. Drizzle syrup over. Sprinkle lightly with peppercorns and serve warm.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.