- One 16oz. loaf semolina bread
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, but into 3 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 3 cloves garlic
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375. Cut off top quarter of bread lengthwise and scoop out the bottom piece.
In a deep skillet, bring about two inches of water to a boil. Salt the water and add the broccoli rabe in batches, simmering for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Wipe out skillet; add the EVOO and heat over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumble with spoon. Add the garlic and cook for two minutes. Add the broccoli rabe and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Fill the bread shell with the mixture. Top with the provolone, parmigiano, mozzarella and bread lid. Wrap the sandwich in foil and bake until cheese is melted, 15 minutes. Cut into thick slices to serve.