- 3 1/2 pounds chayote squash - (abt 6 large) peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/3" dice - (8 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly-sliced green onions - (abt 6)
- 6 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
Combine all ingredients in large bowl; toss to blend. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cover and chill at least 2 hours, tossing occasionally. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
This recipe yields 10 servings.
Test-Kitchen Tip: Use rubber gloves when peeling chayote squash because the uncooked vegetable leaves a chalky, sticky residue that is difficult to wash off.