Mincemeat Ice Cream
- VANILLA ICE CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 10 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Golden Delicious apples - (abt 1 1/3 lbs) peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4" cubes
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup pecans toasted, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup Calvados (apple brandy)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely-grated lemon peel
For Vanilla Ice Cream: Mix cream and milk in heavy large saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer; remove from heat.
Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes. Strain custard into bowl. Cover; chill until cold, about 4 hours.
For Mincemeat: Bring all ingredients to boil in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer mixture to bowl; refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Process custard in ice cream maker. Transfer ice cream to bowl. Fold in 3 cups cold mincemeat. Cover and freeze until firm, about 4 hours. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.)
This recipe yields about 5 1/2 cups.