Quick Bread - Zucchini Bread gluten free
- 1 rounded cup of fresh, grated zucchini (I partially peel my zukes, in stripes)
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (or tapioca flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 free-range organic egg whites, beaten or egg replacer (1/4 cup liquid)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Adapted from glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca
Press the grated zucchini with a paper towel to remove as much moisture as you can. After pressing, fluff with a fork (I learned this tip from 101 Cookbooks). Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, tapioca starch, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt, and cinnamon. Add in the brown sugar.
Add the oil, lemon juice, egg whites or egg replacer, and the coconut milk. Beat to combine and continue to beat on medium high until the batter is smooth- about two minutes.
Add in almost all of the shredded zucchini (I save out a few shreds to decorate the top of the loaf) and stir by hand to combine. If you are adding nuts, stir them in to distribute.
Scoop and scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and using a silicone spatula, even out the top.
Add a few shredded zucchini strands to the top.
Bake in the center of a preheated oven until the top is golden and firm, yet gives a bit when lightly touched. It should feel slightly springy. This may take anywhere from 50 to 60 minutes. It took 55 minutes for my zucchini bread to bake. Test with a thin sharp knife or a wooden pick- either should emerge with no crumbs or batter.
Cook time: 1 hour