Joanne's Apricot Bars
- SHORTBREAD LAYER:
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut 1/2" cubes
- APRICOT LAYER:
- 2/3 cup dried apricot halves (packed/ abt 4 oz) coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Powdered sugar
For Shortbread Layer: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8- by 8- by 2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter; using on/off turns, process until coarse meal forms. Press crumbs firmly onto bottom of dish. Bake until center is golden, about 25 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
Meanwhile, Prepare Apricot Layer: Place apricots in small saucepan; add enough water to cover. Boil until soft, about 4 minutes; drain and set aside.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat eggs in large bowl. Add brown sugar and vanilla; beat until thick. Stir in flour mixture, then nuts and apricots. Spread over shortbread.
Bake cookie until puffed, dark brown, and toothpick inserted into topping comes out with small moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes. Cool in dish.
Cut cookie into 6 strips, then crosswise into thirds. Transfer to waxed paper. Sift powdered sugar over bars.
This recipe yields 18 bars.