Oatmeal Shortbread Santas
Nice sweet oatmeal cookie for use anytime without the need for icing. Gives a healthier choice of a iced cookie.
If decorating as santas: Cut cookies with heart shaped cookie cutters.Turn cookies so pointed ends are up. Unsing desired tip pipe frosting on upper 1/3 of cookie for hat ; sprinkle with red sugar. Using small dots of frosting attach blue candies on each cookie for eyes. Pipe small frosting mustache below eyes: place red candy in centre for mouth. Pipe frosting on lower 1/3 of each cookie for beard.
- 2/3 cup butter or margerine softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
1. In large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium spread until creamy. Stir in flour, oats and baking powder. Gather dough into ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, refridgerate 30 minutes.
2. Heat oven to 350*F On well floured surface roll dough 1/4 inch think. Cut with 3 to 3 1/2 heart shaped cookie cutters. On ungreased cookie sheet place cutouts 2 inches apart
3 Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cookie rack. Cool completely
4 Turn cookies so pointed ends are up. Using desired tip, pipe frosting on upper 1/3 of cookie. Place 1 marshmallow half at tip of each cookie for hat; sprinkle with red sugar. using sall dots of frosting attach 2 blue candies on each cookie for eyes or use coloured icing for same. Pipe small frosting mustache below eyes; place red candy or red icing in centre for mouth. Pipe frosting on lower 1/3 of each cookie for beard