Chicken and Coconut Soup - Food & Wine Festival EPCOT
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grape seed or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1 lemon grass stalk, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped ginger
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 12 ounces boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 cups freshly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 3 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Adapted from magicalrescipes.net
Saute the onion and garlic in the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add the curry paste, lemongrass, ginger and lime leaves.
Cook, stirring, until browned and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes to let the spices infuse the stock.
Stir in the coconut milk, chicken, and mushrooms and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the lime juice and fish sauce; taste and adjust seasonings.
To serve, garnish with scallions and cilantro. (You may remove the lemongrass and lime leaves before serving.)