Smoked Gouda Shrimp and Grits
- For the shrimp & sauce:
- * 2 cups chopped bacon, cooked and chopped
- * 3 T olive oil
- * 1 ½ lbs shrimp
- * salt/pepper to taste
- * 3 t minced garlic
- * 3 cups slice white mushrooms
- * 3 T white wine
- * 2 T lemon juice
- * 2 cups chopped scallions
- * For the smoked gouda grits:
- * 6 cups chicken broth
- * 2 cups milk
- * 1/2 t pepper
- * garlic to taste (I usually use roasted garlic)
- * 2 cups uncooked quick cooking grits
- * 1 2/3 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese (a 7 oz.
- wheel is about right)
- * 3 T butter
- * Red pepper to taste
- * Louisiana hot sauce to taste
1. For the grits:
2. Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan
3. Gradually whisk in grits and red pepper. DO NOT ADD ANY SALT.
4. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes
or until thickened (I cook them longer because I like them a little
5. Add cheese, butter, and hot sauce, stirring until melted.
6. For the shrimp & sauce:
7. Heat a large skillet until very hot and add olive oil and two
tablespoons of bacon grease.
8. As the oil begins to smoke, toss in shrimp.
9. Stir shrimp until it begins to turn pink.
10. Stir in minced garlic and bacon bits.
11. Toss in mushrooms.
12. Add lemon juice and wine, stir to about 30 seconds until all is
13. Toss in scallions and cook until done.
14. Serve shrimp over cheese grits.