Chicken-Apple Sausage And Fresh Fennel Stuffing
- 18 cups cubed (1/2") sourdough bread - (abt 2 1/2 lbs)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh chicken-apple sausage casing removed
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups chopped fresh fennel bulbs
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth or more if needed
- 2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide bread cubes between 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Bake until bread is dry but not hard, stirring once, about 20 minutes. Butter 15- by 10- by 2-inch baking dish.
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook until browned, breaking up lumps, about 5 minutes. Add butter to pot; stir until melted. Add onions and next 7 ingredients. Cook until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Add bread; toss.
Whisk 1 cup broth and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Drizzle over bread mixture; toss to blend well. Add more broth if mixture is dry. Transfer stuffing to baking dish. Cover stuffing with buttered sheet of foil. Bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until browned and crisp on top, about 20 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 16 servings.
You'll also love
- Chicken With Olives, Caramelized... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chestnut Risotto With Butternut... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Candied Citrus Peel 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butter Lettuce, Persimmon, Feta,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Boston Brown Bread Stuffing With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Barbecue Turkey Sandwiches 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Rigatoni With Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Split Pea Soup With Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)