Caramelized Spiced Carrots
- 1 cup pomegranate molasses*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick) melted
- 1/4 cup finely-grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 1/2 pounds medium carrots peeled, and stems trimmed to 1/2"
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced fresh mint leaves
* A thick pomegranate syrup; available at some supermarkets and Middle Eastern markets, and by mail from Adriana's Caravan (adrianascaravan.com).
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk 1/4 cup water, pomegranate molasses, and next 7 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Add carrots to pomegranate mixture and toss to coat. Divide carrots between 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Roast until carrots are tender and liquids are reduced to glaze, stirring twice and mixing in water by tablespoonfuls if needed to prevent burning, about 55 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 375 degrees oven 10 minutes before serving.)
Transfer carrots to platter. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds, pine nuts, basil, and mint over carrots and serve.
This recipe yields 16 servings.
Market Tip: Look for maroon, white, yellow, and red carrots at farmers' markets and include as many colors as you like. Or use regular carrots and thin parsnips.