Bulgur And Green Lentil Pilaf
- 5 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 cup green lentils - (abt 6 oz)
- 2 Turkish bay leaves
- 2 1/4 cups medium bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/3 cup caramelized onions reserved from chicken*
* See the "Chicken With Olives, Caramelized Onions, And Sage" recipe.
Bring first 3 ingredients to boil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Partially cover pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 15 minutes.
Mix in bulgur, salt, and spices. Cover; simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes longer. Season with pepper. Discard bay leaves. Serve topped with almonds and reserved onions.
This recipe yields 8 servings.