American Flag Berry Pie
Fresh berries and a flaky pie crust come together to make a delicious patriotic pie. Serve this pie fresh out of the oven with a big scoop of your favorite ice cream for a dessert that goes perfectly with watching fireworks dance across the sky. American Flag Berry Pie is sure to be the perfect centerpiece to your patriotic party's dessert table this summer.
- pie pastry for a double-crust pie, 9-inches
- 2 1/2 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- 2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- additional sugar for topping the crust
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 85mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Line a 9-inch pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Set aside.
In a large bowl, gently combine cherries and blueberries. Combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; stir into fruit. Let stand for 10 minutes. Pour into crust; dot with butter.
Roll out remaining pastry into a 10-inch circle. Cut pastry in half. Cut one half into two wedges. Using a 1-inch star cookie cutter, cut out stars from one wedge. Place cut out pastry wedge over filling. Discard cut out stars.
Cut remaining pastry pieces into 1/2-inch-wide strips; position over filling to resemble a flag. Seal and flute edges. Sprinkle pastry with additional sugar. Cover edges with foil.
Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F; bake 35 to 40 minutes longer or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
You'll also love
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Ricotta &... 4.5/5 (494 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Michael Symon's Grilled Skirt Steak 4.4/5 (154 Votes)
- Awesome Pasta Salad! 4.5/5 (149 Votes)
- 7-Layer Vegetarian Greek Dip 4.5/5 (135 Votes)
- Butter Burgers 4.5/5 (100 Votes)