Best-Ever Meat Loaf*
- eggs 2
- milk 2/3 cup
- bread 3 slices , torn into pieces
- onion 1/2 cups chopped
- carrot 1/2 cup grated
- celery 2 stalks chopped
- cheddar cheese 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded or mozzarella cheese
- parsley 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- basil 1 teaspoon dried , thyme or sage, optional
- oregano 1-1/2 teaspoon
- salt 1 teaspoon
- pepper 1/4 teaspoon
- ground beef 1-1/2 pound lean , pork, veal
- ketchup & brown sugar mixed together (for top)
In a large bowl, beat eggs.
Add milk and bread let stand a few minutes or until the bread absorbs the liquid.
Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese, herbs and seasonings.
Add meat mixture and mix well.
In a shallow baking pan, shape beef mixture into a 7-1/2-in. x 3-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf.
Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
Spoon some ketchup over meat loaf.
Bake for about 30 minutes longer or until no pink remains, occasionally spooning some of the remaining topping over loaf.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving.