Boston Brown Bread Stuffing With Bacon And Tarragon
- 1 can Boston brown bread - (1 lb) cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 pound soft Italian bread crusts trimmed, cut into 1/2" cubes - (abt 4 cups)
- 4 ounces bacon cut crosswise
- into 1/2" strips
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Divide all bread cubes between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until bread is dry, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer bread to large bowl.
Sauté bacon in large skillet until crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings from skillet. Add butter to drippings and melt over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until soft, about 7 minutes. Add onion, chives, tarragon, salt, pepper, and reserved bacon to bowl with bread; toss to combine. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Butter 9- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Add chicken broth to bread mixture and toss to moisten. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
Cover stuffing with foil and bake 40 minutes (50 minutes if refrigerated). Uncover and bake until lightly browned on top, about 20 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 8 servings.