Black-Eyed Pea Succotash With Creole Mustard Vinaigrette
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups dried black-eyed peas - (abt 8 oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 package frozen corn kernels - (16 oz) thawed, drained
- 1/2 cup finely-diced red onion
- 1/2 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup finely-diced green bell pepper
Combine 6 cups water, black-eyed peas, salt, and bay leaf in large saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until peas are just tender, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Drain well; discard bay leaf.
Whisk rice vinegar, Creole mustard, honey, and hot pepper sauce in medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in black-eyed peas. (Black-eyed pea mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Mix corn, red and green onions, and bell peppers into black-eyed pea mixture. Season succotash to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at room temperature or warm over medium heat until heated through, if desired.
This recipe yields 10 servings.