Toasted Coconut and Orange Icebox Cookies
- Recipe courtesy Aida Mollenkamp
- Cook Time
- 50 min
- 3 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for rolling cookies
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted sweetened coconut
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
Heat oven to 350 degrees F and arrange a rack in the middle.
Combine the flour, zest, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until evenly combined.
Using a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat together butter and sugars
over high speed until light and airy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugars and beat until
fluffy and the mixture looks like wet sand, about 2 more minutes. Add the egg and
vanilla and mix until just combined.
Reduce the speed to medium and add the flour mixture and coconut and beat until just
evenly combined. Lay 2 large pieces of plastic wrap on a clean work surface and put
half of the dough along the center of each piece. Shape the dough into 2 logs measuring
about 1 1/2-inches in diameter and 10-inches long. Roll logs up in the plastic and secure
tightly. Refrigerate the logs for 1 hour or up to several weeks.
Cut the logs into 1/2-inch slices. Roll the cookies in sugar to coat and shake off excess.
Arrange on a baking sheet, leaving 1/2-inch between the cookies. Bake until set and
golden on the edges, about 15 to 18 minutes. Remove to cooling racks to cool
When cookies are cool, melt the chocolate in a small pan over medium-low heat until
smooth. Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate, scrape off excess, and set on a
cooling rack. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to set up before serving.
You'll also love
- Festive Winter Salad with Walnuts... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Capellini Cake with Caramelized... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry balsamic soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach and Sweet Potato Curry (No... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cambodian Beef with Lime and Black... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pepe's Coconut Bread (featured in... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange Poppy Seed Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)