Barbecue Turkey Sandwiches
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup finely-shredded red cabbage
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 pound thickly-sliced cooked turkey meat cut into
- matchstick-size strips
- 2/3 cup purchased barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup homemade turkey broth (or low-salt chicken broth)
- 4 soft sandwich buns halved, toasted
Combine first 3 ingredients in medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature until onion softens, tossing occasionally, about 2 hours; or cover and chill up to 1 day.
Combine turkey, barbecue sauce, and broth in medium nonstick skillet. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer until heated through, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
Arrange bottoms of buns on plates. Spoon turkey mixture onto buns. Using tongs, pile pickled-onion mixture atop turkey. Cover with top halves of buns.
This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.