Banana-Black Bean Empanadas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 firm medium-size banana diced
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can black beans - (15 oz) drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry - (17.3-oz pkg) thawed
- 1 cup coarsely-grated Monterey Jack cheese - (packed)
- 1 egg - (for glaze) beaten to blend
Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over high heat. Add banana and sauté until golden, about 1 1/2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer banana to paper towels to drain. Add onion to skillet; sauté 3 minutes. Add beans, cilantro, cumin, and cayenne; cook until mixture is hot, about 3 minutes. Using back of fork, mash bean filling to coarse paste; season with salt and cool.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out each puff pastry sheet on floured surfaceto 14-inch square. Cut each into 9 squares. Place 1 heaping tablespoon filling in center of 12 squares (reserve remaining squares for another use). Sprinkle each mound of filling with cheese, then top with bananas, dividing equally. Brush edges of squares with glaze. Fold 1 corner over filling to opposite corner, forming triangle. Using fork, seal crust edges. Arrange on rimmed baking sheet; brush with glaze. Bake empanadas until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 12 empanadas.
These Latin American turnovers work as appetizers or as a vegetarian main course when served several to a person.
You'll also love
- Baked Rigatoni With Sausage And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Oysters With Bacon And Leeks 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Apples With Cranberries,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Warm Berry Preserves 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Sugar Snap Peas With Fleur... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentil Soup With Lamb And Mint 0/5 (0 Votes)
- New Orleans Banana Split 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chocolate-Caramel Tartlets,... 0/5 (0 Votes)