Red Velvet Ice Cream Sandwiches
Inspired by a comment on http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/?p=1105. Very easy to make. The cookie recipe is based on http://busycooks.about.com/od/cookierecipes/r/cakemixcookies.htm. The cream cheese ice cream recipe is modified from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cream-Cheese-Ice-Cream-107998. Since it is cream cheese based, a custard base is not made, which greatly simplifies the process. Perhaps later I will try a creme anglaise cream cheese ice cream recipe to see if it is worth the trouble. This idea (ice cream sandwich with cookies made from cake mix) should easily generalize to other combinations, like devils food with cherry ice cream for a Black Forest sandwich, devils food with caramel coconut ice cream for a German Chocolate sandwich, yellow cake with chocolate ice cream, carrot cake with cream cheese ice cream, white cake with strawberry flecked condensed milk - cream cheese ice cream for a tres leches sandwich, etc.
- Red Velvet Cookie
- 18.25 oz. red velvet cake mix
- 1/2 c. softened butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 T. water (note: don't add water if not using chocolate cake mix)
- Cream Cheese Ice Cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 155mins
1. Blend cream cheese, milk, lemon juice, sugar, and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, then stir in cream. Freeze cream cheese mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden, at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients at low speed until dry ingredients are moistened and dough is thoroughly mixed.
4. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 9-12 minutes. Cool two minutes on cookie sheets, then remove to wire racks to cool.
5. Put a small scoop of ice cream on a cookie and top with another cookie. Immediately put in a dish in the freezer.
6. Repeat Step 5 until all cookies and ice cream used, laying wax paper between layers as needed.