Basil Chicken Merlot with Wild Mushrooms
Sweetly sauced chicken over ziti - YUM
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 pounds roasting chicken, cut into individual pieces, skinned
- 1 1/2 cups crimini mushrooms, cleaned and thickly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste, canned
- 1/3 cup Merlot or other dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 3 cups ziti pasta, cooked, drained
- Romano cheese, for garnish
1.In a large skillet on stovetop set to medium-high heat, heat oil.
2.Once the oil is hot, brown one-half of the chicken pieces on each side about 3 to 5 minutes, turning once.
3.Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set all of the browned chicken aside.
4.Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and add the mushrooms, onion and garlic.
5.Sauté these vegetables for 7-8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
6.Place the stoneware on the slow cooker heating base and add the vegetables.
7.Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
8.In a medium mixing bowl, combine the broth, tomato paste, wine, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper.
9.Pour the sauce over the chicken.
10.Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours or on Low for 7 to 9 hours.
11.Stir in the fresh basil. Spoon the pasta into a deep, large serving bowl or platter.
12.Ladle the chicken and mushrooms over the pasta and spoon the extra sauce over all. Garnish with the Romano cheese.