Bay Scallop, Shrimp and Ahi tuna Ceviche in Tortilla Cups
Delicious homemade ceviche with bay scallops, shrimp and tuna is served in tortilla cups that are freshly made. A perfect light meal, or heavy appetizer.
- Peanut Oil, for frying
- 4 small, thin corn tortillas, each about 8 inches in diameter
- 1/2 pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound fresh baby bay scallops, side muscles removed
- 1/2 pound ahi tuna fillet, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus 6 sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
In a large, heavy saucepan or a deep-fryer, heat 5 to 6 inches of oil to 375°F. One at a time, fry the tortillas in the hot oil until they are soft, about 10 seconds, immediately transferring each tortilla to paper towels to drain. Reserve, covered, in a warm spot. Heat wire potato nest baskets by dipping it in the hot oil for several seconds. Carefully fit a softened tortilla into the bottom basket and place the smaller basket on top to shape the tortilla into a cup. Then immerse the tortilla enclosed in the baskets into the hot oil and cook until the tortilla is crispy and golden brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove the tortilla cup from the basket and invert on paper towels to drain. Repeat the procedure with the other tortillas. (If you don't have a potato nest basket, you can also lay the tortillas 1 by 1 on the surface of the hot oil, then immediately, carefully push the center to the bottom with a small, empty, clean tin can, thus creating a freeform cup. Be sure to use tongs and heat resistant gloves to protect your hands.)
Cut the shrimp into pieces the same size as the bay scallops. Refrigerate the shrimp, ahi, and scallops in separate bowls.
In a nonreactive mixing bowl, stir together the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, and tomato. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Stir the seafood into this mixture, cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 to 45 minutes.
Place the tortilla cups on individual serving plates. Divide the ceviche among the cups and garnish each serving with sprigs of cilantro. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Banana Thick Shake (Without Ice... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spicy Bacon Cowboy Chili Recipe 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Tuna Tartare in Wonton Cones 3/5 (3 Votes)
- Tuna Rice Casserole 3.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Bonnies Snow Ghost Cocoa Cream Pie 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Crack Cake 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Shrimp de Jonghe 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Mortons Shrimp Alexander 4/5 (2 Votes)