- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) diced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated orange peel - (packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely-grated lemon peel - (packed)
- Whipping cream as needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
Whisk egg, orange juice, and lemon juice in small bowl to blend. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in large bowl to blend; add butter. Rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix in sesame seeds, orange peel, and lemon peel. Add egg mixture and toss until moist clumps form, adding cream by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead gently for several turns until dough comes together.
Roll dough out on floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Using 2-inch round cutter, cut dough rounds. Gather dough scraps and reroll, cutting out more rounds. Arrange on prepared sheets. Bake until firm to touch and cooked through but pale, about 15 minutes.
This recipe yields about 32 crakers.
These savory treats, called biscuits in Scotland, go well with cocktails or tea.