Soup: Asian Shrimp
- 4 Tbsp corn oil
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 carrot, coarsely grated
- 4 1/2 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp chinese five spice powder
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 4 1/2 oz shrimp
- 1/2 bunch watercress or arugula, coarsely
- 1 egg, well beaten
1. Heat the oil in a wok, swirling it around until very hot. Add the scallions and stir-fry for a minute, then add the carrots and mushrooms and continue to cook for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the stock and bring to a boil then season to taste with salt and pepper, five-spice powder and soy sauce then simmer for 5 minutes.
3. If the shrimp are really large, cut them in half before adding to the wok and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the watercress to the wok and mix well, then slowly pour in the beaten egg in a circular motion so that it cooks in threads in the soup. Adjust the seasoning and serve each portion topped with a whole shrimp.