Mini Lemon Tarts
??If you are using frozen blueberries make sure they are frozen without sugar. Defrost in the refrigerator and make sure they are dry before sugaring. Sugared berries will last 2 days.??
- 3 oz (90 g) butter, cut in chunks
- 3 oz (90 g) cream cheese, cut in chunks
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- Lemon Curd:
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (50 mL) lemon juice
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup (250 mL) blueberries, fresh or frozen defrosted
1. Combine butter, cream cheese and salt in a food processor. Sprinkle in flour. Process using the on-off method to combine flour and fat.
2. Remove from processor and gently knead together. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC).
4. Combine sugar, butter, lemon rind and juice and eggs in a heavy pot. Stir gently over low heat until mixture is thick and coats the back of a spoon, about 7 to 10 minutes. Do not let the mixture boil or it will curdle. Remove from heat and let cool. Refrigerate until needed.
5. Roll out pastry 1/8-inch (3-mm) thick. Using a 3-inch (8-cm) cutter, cut rounds to fit mini muffin or tartlet tins. Prick pastry well and bake for 15 minutes. Remove tartlet shells from pan to cool. Fill mini tartlet shells with lemon curd.
6. Place sugar on parchment paper.
7. Beat egg white until just foamy. Dip blueberries in egg white and place in a sieve to let drain. Roll in granulated sugar. Leave to dry for at least 2 hours. Top little tarts with blueberries.