Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
Betty Crocker recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 pounds beef boneless chuck, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, cut lengthwise in half, then cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) Progresso® beef flavored broth
- 1 1/2 cups Green Giant® frozen sweet peas (from 1-pound bag)
- 1 cup Green Giant® Niblets® frozen whole kernel corn (from 1-pound bag)
1.Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, garlic, beef, salt and pepper in oil 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is browned.
2.Spoon beef mixture into 6-quart slow cooker. Stir in carrots, barley and broth.
3.Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
4.Increase heat setting to High. Stir in frozen peas and corn. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until peas and corn are hot.