Lentil Soup With Lamb And Mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 3 large celery stalks chopped
- 2 large parsnips peeled, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 3/4 pound lentils rinsed
- 4 cans beef broth - (14 oz ea) or more if needed
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint divided
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add lamb, celery, parsnips, onion, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are almost tender and lamb is cooked through and beginning to brown, breaking up lamb with back of fork, about 15 minutes.
Add lentils and stir 1 minute. Add 4 cans broth, tomatoes with juice, and cumin. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
Transfer 2 cups soup to blender and puree until smooth; return to same pot. Mix in 1/4 cup mint. Thin soup with more broth if desired. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup mint.
This recipe yields 8 servings.