Herb-Brined Pork Prime Rib Roast
- 6 quarts cold water divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fine sea salt
- 8 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 Turkish bay leaves crumbled
- 4 juniper berries*
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 center-cut 6- to 6 1/2-lb pork rib roast well-trimmed (8-bone; about 12" to 14" long)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns crushed in mortar
- with pestle or in resealable plastic bag
- with mallet
* Available in the spice section of most supermarkets.
For Brine: Combine 1 quart water and all remaining ingredients in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour brine into wide pot or container large enough to hold pork (3- to 4-gallon capacity). Add remaining 5 quarts cold water; stir to blend. Let stand until brine is cool to touch, about 1 hour.
For Pork: Place pork on work surface. Trim off all but 1/4-inch layer of fat from roast. Turn roast over so that rib bones point up. Using boning knife and starting where meat meets rib bones, gradually cut loin away from rack of bones, leaving 2 inches of meat attached to bones (do not cut meat off bones completely). Tie meat back onto bones with kitchen string at 2-inch intervals. Place roast in brine, submerging pork completely and weighing down with heavy pot if necessary. Cover and refrigerate 5 days.
Remove pork from brine; discard brine. Rinse pork under cold running water for 5 minutes to reduce saltiness; pat dry with paper towels. Place pork on rack set over sheet of foil; let stand at room temperature 2 hours.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Place pork on rack in large roasting pan. Mix thyme and crushed peppercorns in small bowl; sprinkle mixture over pork. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pork registers 140 degrees, about 1 hour. Remove from oven. Let roast rest 30 minutes (internal temperature of roast will increase 5 to 10 degrees).
Remove kitchen string from roast. Cut meat into slices and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Feta, Garbanzo Bean, And Eggplant... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken And Mushroom Pie With... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Wings:Crispy Oven Baked Chicken... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Bacon Crack 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Braised Beef with Shallots and... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- ST. LOUIS PRIME RIB 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Rosemary Rib Roast 4.4/5 (5 Votes)