Dried Cherry And Ginger Cannoli
- 4 cups fresh ricotta cheese - (2 lbs)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese*
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup minced dried tart cherries
- 4 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 25 purchased cannoli shells
- Chopped pistachios
- Additional powdered sugar
* Italian cream cheese; available at many supermarkets and Italian markets.
Working in 2 batches, blend first 5 ingredients in processor until smooth; add ginger and cherries and process until finely chopped and well incorporated. Using on/off turns, mix in chocolate just until blended (do not puree). Transfer filling to large bowl. (Filling can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before continuing.)
Working in batches, transfer filling to pastry bag without tip. Pipe into shells. Sprinkle ends with pistachios. Chill at least 2 hours and up to 6 hours. Sift powdered sugar over cannoli and serve.
This recipe yields 25 cannoli.