Cumin-Scented Beet Latkes
- 6 cups coarsely-shredded peeled beets - (abt 6 medium)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs beaten to blend
- Canola oil for frying
- Celery And Cilantro Relish (see recipe)
- Apple, Green Onion, And Jalapeño Salsa, (see recipe)
Place beets in large bowl; press with paper towels to absorb any moisture. In another large bowl, whisk flour and next 5 ingredients. Mix in beets, then eggs.
Pour enough oil into large skillet to cover bottom; heat over medium heat. Working in batches, drop beet mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet; spread to 3 1/2-inch rounds. Fry until golden, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer latkes to baking sheet. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 350 degrees oven until crisp, about 10 minutes.)
Serve latkes with relish and salsa.
This recipe yields about 15 latkes.
Mix And Match: Pair these and the gingered carrot latkes with the celery relish and the apple salsa.