Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
Making your own enchilada sauce is really simple and it can be easily tweaked to your own taste. If you're looking to make this dish even healthier, simply decrease the amount of cheese, or use dairy-free cheese.
- 3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn, frozen or thawed
- 6 ounce fresh baby spinach
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 cups shredded 3 cheese blend or pepper jack
- 8 whole wheat or flour tortillas
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
In a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add tomato paste, flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. Cook 1 minute whisking. Whisk in broth, bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened about 8 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
Saute the spinach in olive oil over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly wilted.
In a large bowl, combine beans, 2 cups cheese, spinach, corn, green onions, cumin, and cilantro.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish, and pour a small amount of the sauce to coat the bottom. Generously fill tortillas with mixture, roll up tightly with ends tucked in, and place seam side down in dish. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas, coating evenly. Sprinkle 1 cup cheese on top.
Bake about 20 minutes, and garnish with cilantro and/or green onions, optional.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (896 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (390 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken ‘n Spinach... 4.5/5 (217 Votes)
- Texas Trash Warm Bean Dip 4.5/5 (184 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups 4.6/5 (148 Votes)