Fantastic on a warm summer evening!
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 5 cups sliced leeks, white and pale green parts
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat until the foam subsides.
2. Stir in the leeks and onion and continue to stir to coat with the butter.
3. Saute for 8-10 minutes on lower heat, stirring occasionally. You don't want the leeks and onions to brown, just soften.
4. Add chopped potatoes, salt, stock, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cover with lid slightly askew. Simmer for 40 minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup until velvety smooth. You can use a blender, but work in batches.
6. Let the soup cool to room temperature and whisk in the sour cream and heavy cream. Add more salt if needed.
7. Refrigerate until chilled. Allow soup to sit out for 30 minutes before serving.