Caponata With Fennel, Olives, And Raisins
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled eggplant cut 3/4" cubes
- 3 cups coarsely-chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups coarsely-chopped fresh fennel bulb - (abt 1 medium)
- 6 large garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add eggplant, bell peppers, fennel, and garlic; sauté until eggplant is tender, about 10 minutes. Add olives and raisins, then mix in tomato sauce and vinegar.
Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer until caponata is thick and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer.
Mix in basil. Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Serve at room temperature.
This recipe yields 6 cups.
Caponata is a Sicilian specialty typically served as a relish or side dish. It also works as an appetizer on bread rounds.
You'll also love
- Campanelle Pasta With Burrata... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Rosemary, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Brown Sugar-Chipotle Salmon With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roast Leg Of Lamb With Fennel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato And Green Olive Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Portuguese Sausage Sandwiches With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Short Ribs With Garbanzo... 0/5 (0 Votes)