Braised Red Cabbage
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick)
- 1 head red cabbage - (abt 2 lbs) quartered, cored, thinly sliced - (abt 14 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons dry red wine (or hard cider)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add sliced cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir and toss constantly until cabbage begins to wilt, about 7 minutes. Add red wine or hard cider and sauté until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
Add red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar; stir constantly until cabbage is tender and turns bright fuchsia color, about 13 minutes longer. Season to taste with pepper and more salt, if desired. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm, stirring over medium heat, before serving.)
This recipe yields 8 servings.