Pear-Chicken Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- 4 to 6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 8 thick slices firm-texture white bread
- 8 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- 12-ounces cooked chicken or turkey breast, cut into thin slices
- 1 to 2 medium pears, cored, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup half-and-half or light cream
Preparation time 20mins
Heat oven to 350 degree F. Spread 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons horseradish on one side of half the bread slices. Top each with a slice of cheese, a slice of chicken or turkey, and several pear slices. Add another slice of cheese and a slice of chicken or turkey. Top with a slice of bread.
Combine eggs and half-and-half or light cream in a shallow dish. Dip both sides of each sandwich in egg mixture; allow each side to stand about 10 seconds until egg mixture is absorbed. Place sandwiches in a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully turn the sandwiches over and bake about 10 minutes more or until bread is golden and cheese is just melted. To serve, slice each sandwich into four triangles. Makes 8 servings.
Assemble the sandwiches and place in baking pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.